As some of you know, I am a professional plus size model. I get asked all the time, “How can I get into modeling?”
Simple answer is do your research.
Here is a list of Pros and Cons in the modeling world.
- Embracing yourself
- Networking and meeting amazing individuals who you create lasting memories and bonds with
- As someone in the eye of the people, your voice is strong and heard.
- Being able to broadcast your mission and platform
- Getting to look fancy and wear exquisite garments
- Pays well (WHEN PAID – I can’t stress that enough – see cons)
- Many ‘jobs’ you find through research can be what I like to call “vanity” shows. These shows do not pay. They normally ask you to pay some sort of monetary amount in exchange for ___________. Although, these are great for beginners when building their portfolio and resume. It makes us professionals have a hard time casting for paid shows after performing in a “free” show. Industry professionals hear you do shows for free and that’s what they expect of you. Again, these shows are great for beginners. Practice makes perfect. Resumes count!
- Sometimes you will travel or get to a fitting or rehearsal and find out for whatever reason it may be you are no longer in the production. (No clothes to fit, too many models, designer dropped out, you have fallen sick, etc.)
- As someone in the eye of the people, your voice is strong and heard. Be careful what you say to who.
- Not feeling fancy all the time. Models have a very luxurious looking lifestyle. But that isn’t always their life 24/7. Models are real people too. Life happens.
- You are expected and must always be on the go and passport ready. This includes paying for travel expenses BEFORE you get paid!
In all actuality, modeling isn’t for everyone. I love what I do and I wouldn’t change it for the world. I love being being to represent plus size women. There are a lot of people in the industry who are cut throat. Take the knife and run! Stand for what you believe in. Remember who you are.
Feel free to leave a reply below 👇 or head over to the contact section to ask any modeling or industry questions. 💃🏻💋🥂